| || |
Dok Champa Silk Flowers
Handcrafted by rehabilitated victims of human trafficking, this activity is no charity. These women have been vocationally trained and professionally employed by LOPPA (Lao Organic Product Promotion Association) through ASE (AFESIP Social Enterprise).
Beyond sustainable reintegration, ASE aims to fight the impact of poverty on women in Laos; a phenomenon making them more vulnerable to the false promises of traffickers. By creating small business structures, vocational training and employment, ASE is empowering women in an innovative and sustainable manner.
AFESIP products are produced and sold following Fair Trade principles. Fair Trade is an ethical alternative to traditional commerce in developing countries, seeking sustainable development and justice for both producers and consumers:
* a fair salary for the producer
* a fair price for the consumer, limiting profit margins of middlemen
* a safe and healthy working environment production that encourages capacity building and independence
* no labour exploitation of children
* value for the work of women
* good environmental practices & responsible methods of production